No one wants to be a slave, but being free requires a tremendous amount of work mentally and spiritually. A slave has to be prepared to live in freedom.
After the Israelites were delivered from Egypt, God tried for forty years to remove their slavish mentality. They pined for the food of Egypt, begged Moses to take care of them, and rebelled numerous times. As I read through the book of Exodus, I came to the startling conclusion that I resemble the wandering Jews. Even in this land of freedom we can be captive.
- don’t know what to do unless they’re told
- rely on others for sustenance
- whine when they don’t get what they want
- are ruled by fear
- do only what is required
- blame others for their problems
- harbor bitterness
- are unable to trust others
- have no hope for the future
- revolt against government
My own heart is on this list more than I like to admit. Thankfully, God is patient. He is my provider and my hope. The future is in his hands. He continues to lead me towards liberty as I trust him. I just wonder how much longer I’ll wander in the desert. It must be time to enter the Promised Land.